GOP leader McConnell cancels most of Senate’s August recess
WASHINGTON — Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday he was cancelling most of the Senate’s time-honoured August recess, an election-year move that could help lawmakers confirm more of President Donald Trump’s nominees while keeping vulnerable Democratic senators off the campaign trail.
McConnell, R-Ky., said he decided to shorten the usual summer getaway “due to the historic obstruction by Senate Democrats of the president’s nominees” and to work on must-pass spending bills.
Conservative lawmakers and groups have been pressing McConnell to keep lawmakers in session to address nearly 150 federal judicial vacancies — a number Democrats attribute to GOP delaying tactics during President Barack Obama’s last years in office. McConnell said last month that he considers confirming judges his top priority.
Asked if his shortening of the recess was aimed at pressuring Democrats to halt delaying tactics against Trump’s nominees, McConnell showed no willingness of reviving the break if the pace of nominations quickens.


