Too soon for ‘G6 plus one’ approach on gender equality talks: Maryam Monsef
OTTAWA — Status of Women Minister Maryam Monsef says it’s too soon for Canada to consider taking a “G6-plus-one” approach to obtaining commitments from G7 leaders on gender equality issues like sexual health and abortion services.
Monsef, who is attending the G7 meetings in Charlevoix, Que., later this week, says Canada hopes to convince leaders of the benefits of investing in women and girls, but will also approach the talks with “humility” and an open mind.
“This G7, as has been the case for all meetings of the world’s most advanced economies, is about dialogue and conversations,” Monsef told the Canadian Press on Wednesday. “It is not the G1, it is the G7 and it is an opportunity for each of us to bring our solutions and challenges to the table and have meaningful, constructive conversations about them.”
Earlier this week, the G7 gender advisory council released a report with 60 recommendations for concrete action on gender issues, including a call for countries to fund access to comprehensive reproductive health services, including safe abortions.


