Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter

Deadline extended for Art Alley project

May 8, 2017 | 1:41 PM

The deadline has been extended for those who wish to take part in the second year of the Art Alley project.

Organizers had initially set the cut-off date for submissions as May 5, but are now leaving the timeline open throughout the summer so more people have a chance to participate.

“We would love to work with anyone in the community who has an interest and wants to be involved to enhance our community,” North Battleford Business Improvement District (BID) executive director Shelley Bernier said.

The project involves creating outdoor art murals in downtown North Battleford, both to beautify the downtown core and help reduce criminal activity. Last year four artists took part in the project.  

Bernier expected work on the project will begin later this month and continue into September or October.

“We are open to any and all individuals who are interested in taking part in the project. The city of North Battleford and the North Battleford Business Improvement District (BID) is very committed to the safety and the revitalization of the downtown,” Bernier said.  “We had such great feedback and results last year that we are excited as we move forward into the second year.”

Battlefords Detachment RCMP Const. Jane Kenny said the Art Alley murals help people feel a greater sense of pride in their community. She thought potential offenders are less likely to cause property damage if they see the time and effort taken to beautify the city.

“We’re hoping to continue to do something every year to make the city look nicer,” Kenny said.    

Devin MacAulay, a planner with City of North Battleford who is involved in the project, hopes this year more people will take part.

“We know there are a lot of creative people in the city and we want to try to coax these people out, and get involved in the community and showcase what they can do,” he said.

 

angela.brown@jpbg.ca

On Twitter: @battlefordsNOW