Fox to add Tim Allen’s ‘Last Man Standing’ to fall lineup
NEW YORK — Tim Allen’s “Last Man Standing,” cancelled last year by ABC, is being resurrected by Fox next season because it’s a “great comedy” and not as a conservative statement, Fox executives said Monday.
Some fans may be drawn to the family sitcom because of Allen’s personal political views, but they “aren’t really a big feature of the show,” Fox Television Group executive Gary Newman said. “We just think it’s a really funny show” with general appeal, he said in announcing the network’s 2018-19 schedule with fellow chairman and CEO Dana Walden.
The success of the rebooted “Roseanne” on ABC emboldened Fox to revive “Last Man Standing,” which is produced by its studio, but the decision was already in the works, Walden said. The network needed to find the right spot for it, she said.
Fox made room for Allen’s comedy and more, cancelling a total of five shows including “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” ”The Last Man on Earth,” ”The Mick,” ”Lucifer” and “The Exorcist.” NBC quickly picked up “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.”


