JUMPSTART ACCESSIBILITY GRANTS
Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities is a national charity dedicated to helping kids overcome financial and accessibility barriers to sport and recreation in order to provide inclusive play for kids of all abilities. With an extensive, national network of more than 1,900 Community Partners and nearly 300 local chapters, Jumpstart helps eligible families cover the costs of registration, transportation, and equipment, and provides funding to selected organizations for recreational infrastructure and programming. Supported by the Canadian Tire Family of Companies, Jumpstart has enabled over 1.5 million Canadian kids to get in the game since 2005.
Jumpstart’s Play Finds A Way is a ground-breaking movement to help remove barriers for kids with disabilities. One of the programs within Play Finds A Way includes the Jumpstart Accessibility Grants, which are intended to support capital costs of construction and renovations related to improving physical accessibility to, and inclusivity in recreation facilities for children with disabilities in Canadian communities.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
The following types of organizations are eligible to apply for Jumpstart Accessibility Grants funding through Jumpstart:
• Municipalities and public recreation centres/facilities
• Schools with publically accessible facilities
• Community organizations with publicly accessible recreation facilities (e.g.: YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, etc)
• Public recreation spaces owned and operated by private Foundations
Examples of organizations that are not eligible for funding include hospitals, privately-owned recreation facilities, and places of worship.
FUNDING STREAMS AND AMOUNTS
There are 2 funding streams within the Jumpstart Accessibility Grants:
Accessibility-Enabling Grants: Jumpstart will provide grants up to $50,000 for projects designed to help organizations enable general accessibility within their facilities. Where possible, applications should demonstrate evidence of matching funds or in-kind support from Federal/Provincial/Territorial and/or municipal governments. Up to 14 Accessibility-Enabling Grants will be awarded annually;
Inclusive Design Innovation Grants: Jumpstart will provide grants between $250,000 and $1,000,000 for projects designed to enhance existing building plans for sport and recreation spaces with uniquely innovative solutions for inclusion & accessibility for children of different abilities. On an annual basis, jumpstart will award:
a. Up to four grants valued at $250,000
b. Up to two grants valued at $500,000
c. Two grants valued at $1,000,000
The Jumpstart Accessibility Grants provide funding for projects that improve accessibility, inclusion and safety for children with disabilities through renovations, retrofits or construction of community facilities and venues so that recreation programs and/or services can be accessed and enjoyed by children of all abilities.
Eligible activities under the Inclusive Design Innovation Grants stream should set a new standard for universal access. Examples include but are not limited to:
• Upgrading a recreational field (e.g.: baseball field) to be fully accessible and inclusive (e.g: Challenger baseball field);
• Enhancing plans for rinks to make them fully accessible and inclusive for para-hockey use;
• Enhancing plans for a field house or indoor gym by ensuring that flooring surfaces, court dividers and changerooms are all universally accessible.
Examples of eligible activities under the Accessibility Enabling Grants stream include, but are not limited to:
• Renovations to widen hallways/doorways that are too narrow for a child using a wheelchair, electric scooter or walker;
• Installing elevators or lifts;
• Building continuous accessible walkways between outdoor amenities at a recreation facility (i.e. between tennis courts, pools, playgrounds, and parks)
HOW TO APPLY
Eligible organizations must submit a full online application for funding by Friday, March 16, 2018 at 11:59PM EST. Applicants must include details of user-group and/or community stakeholder consultations as well as letters of endorsement from user groups and/or community stakeholders.
A Grant Advisory Committee comprised of subject matter experts will evaluate and adjudicate all submissions.
All applicants will be advised on the status of their submissions by June 4, 2018.
CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 1-844- YES-PLAY
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.