By Leola Macdonald
City of North Battleford Historic Archives
In 1913 the City of North Battleford was a divisional point on the Canadian Northern Railway on the mainline between Winnipeg and Edmonton.
The community was growing rapidly and many things were needed.
Besides electricity, schools, churches, hospitals, homes and other things like sidewalks, there was need for stores. As a result, privately owned small stores started appearing. We like to think of them as the small “Corner Stores”.